- About Us
- Get Involved
- For Professionals
FULL TIME POSITION
COMMUNICATIONS, MEDIA RELATIONS
MUSEUM OF TOLERANCE, A SIMON WIESENTHAL CENTER MUSEUM
The Museum of Tolerance is seeking a Communications, Media Relations professional looking to join an innovative team of mission-driven individuals who thrive working in a fast-paced environment. He/she must possess excellent communication and organizational skills, value attention to detail, a proactive attitude; as well as being enthusiastic, personable and adept to managing multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The main responsibility of the Communications, Media Relations position is to support the development and implementation of the Center’s communications efforts.
The right person for this role is deadline-driven; will reach out to press and filter incoming press calls; work on breaking social action stories and is a quick, concise writer. This position reports directly to the Communications Director.
o Help formulate communication and media relations strategy to gain high-visibility placements in online, broadcast and online media.
o Leverage existing media relations and cultivate new contacts with media as well as manage media inquiries.
o Pitch SWC breaking news and other stories including other interdepartmental divisions such as Museum of Tolerance and Moriah Films.
o Track media coverage and social media mentions and communicate results to team.
o Develop media information kits as needed
o Be available outside of office hours for breaking news stories and disseminating press releases when necessary
· PRESS COMFRENECES:
o Organize and make arrangement for press conferences
o Send out media alert
o Follow up with media and post comference release when necessary
· PRESS RELEASES:
o Quickly write press releases when necessary
o Work well with breaking news
o Disseminate releases to media outlets and follow up
o Upload releases to website
o Knowledge of Cision, Meltwater or similar is required
· PUBLICATIONS AND COLLATERAL MATERIALS
o Work with Communications department staff to write, edit, proofread SWC Dinner Journal, InMotion magazine, brochures, press kits
· PHOTOS AND PHOTO ARCHIVES:
o Be present at events to capture still photography or video clips when necessary
o Work with communications team to catalogue and identify people in photo(s), upload to online photo management system
o Maintain and oversee cameras, camera cards, step and repeat
o Serve as backup for online efforts, including uploading press releases, social media and photos
YOU WILL BE A GREAT FIT FOR US IF YOU:
· Have a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism or related fields, with a minimum of 3 year of relevant work experience in media/public relations.
· Can work in a very busy office environment with many demands while maintaining poise and professionalism.
· Are able to multi-task, handle requests from multiple sources and determine priorities as well as order of completion.
· Possess a self-starting attitude, be ready to seize opportunities and make an impact without specific instruction.
· Have excellent organizational and written communication skills, proofreading and editing skills.
· Have excellent public speaking and communications skills.
· Have basic graphic design skills (i.e. PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator, etc.)
· Are enthusiastic about effective community engagement in a social justice framework
· Are flexible and willing to perform other reasonable duties as requested by the Communications Director.
35 hours/week; Monday – Friday, (includes evening events and occasional Sundays)
Equal Opportunity Employer
Qualified applicants please email cover letter and resumé to email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE: The Museum is Closed Saturdays and Jewish Holidays. During the months of November - March, the MOT will close at 3:30pm on Fridays. Last entrance is 1:00pm.
Or, you may call the Advanced Ticket Desk at 310-772-2505 to secure your advanced ticket purchase.